Financial Settlement Offered 18 Years After Tragic Arch Cot Building Collapse in Barbados

March 12, 2025
Government offers $400,000 settlement split among ten claimants for the 2007 Shalom Apartment building collapse in Barbados, causing disappointment among some parties, including grandmother Sheila Codrington.
Eighteen years after the tragic Shalom Apartment building collapse at Arch Cot, Brittons Hill, St Michael, which claimed the lives of a family of five, Government has reached out and offered a financial settlement.
However, the $400 000 offer, to be split among ten claimants, is not going down well with some of the parties, with Sheila Codrington, grandmother of deceased Donavere Codrington, expressing grave disappointment.
The collapse, deemed one of the most horrific incidents in Barbados’ history, occurred in 2007 when the apartment building fell, killing Codrington, his wife Cassandra and three children, Shaquanda, seven; three-year-old Shaquille and baby Yashiro.
While four parties were sued, including the Attorney General, the others, who included Lemuel Rawlins, the original owner of the property, Mahy Ridley Hazzard Engineers Ltd. and Dr Jerry Emtage, owner of the lot which was being excavated when the apartment collapsed, have never responded to the multimillion-dollar lawsuit.
Sources close to the situation told the Sunday Sun the claimants were seeking $1.6 million from each of the parties for an overall settlement of $6.4 million but charged that this was now converted to only one payment of $1.6 million, with the AG’s Office agreeing to pay its quarter share.
Last week, the claimants, who included three surviving children – now young adults, including Doniya, who was a baby when both of her parents died but who turns 18 this year – and family members of both Donavere and Cassandra, were summoned to the offices of attorney Kristin Turton and advised of the division of the $400 000.
The children, two of who are university students, will receive the majority share. They were further advised that the money would be issued in bond payments monthly over a four-year period.
Two of the matriarchs, Patricia Gibbs and Shirley Linton, the mothers of Donavere and Cassandra have passed away.
Sheila Codrington, 83, who is slated to receive just over $6 000 with her daughter Gibbs (deceased) awarded $14 138, expressed disappointment.
“They ain’t do nothing for the Codrington family. My daughter walk around with 18 years of grief. Nobody ain’t know what my child lived through for the last 18 years and, look, she gone now. Sudden so – not a warning.”
She pointed out that Donavere was Patricia’s only son and the main breadwinner of the family before he died.
“After waiting for all these years for a settlement, it is $14 138.66? Make it real,” she cried, as she added that the money could not even pay for her daughter’s funeral expenses.
She said her family also received nothing from the well-publicised telethon which raised money for the families after the collapse.
Another family member, who requested anonymity, lamented the long delay in the settlement, pointing out that attorneys representing the families had backed out twice.
“The AG offered us $600 000, which we rejected. So how they come out of a meeting and the $600 000 drop to $400 000 and the $1.6 million for each party is now only for all and we still have to pay legal fees out of that money? Dr Jerry Emtage, Mahy Ridley-Hazard and Lemuel Rawlins never came to the table.”
It was reported that all parties would have to accept the offer in order for the funds to be disbursed.
When contacted, Marshall recalled that his office made an offer to the claimants last October but said it was refused.
Pointing out that other entities were parties to the lawsuit, he said that Government was not prepared to take on the full responsibility.